Sunday, September 7, 2008

Paris Day 7: Aug. 28, 2008


Today, we all took the train to Versailles, the gargantuan palace from the 17th Century, most famously where King Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette resided until the French Revolution. It was quite amazing and truly humbling. Once again, Shane was a dream despite the fact that his trike was stolen yesterday and he had to walk everywhere. The palace is huge to say the least. We toured the inside which was amazing but it is the gardens and grounds that are the most breath-taking. After spending a hour or so inside, we had lunch in the gardens. It was amazingly great food and, although the day was overcast, it was quite comfortable and memorable. Of course, I was hell bent to go to the domain of Marie Antoinette -- Petit Trianon, a small manor house where the young impressionable queen would disappear into her own fantasy world. Well, it wasn't fantasy for me but reality that I wore flip flops and we had to walk about 2 miles to reach the chateau. Needless-to-say, there are no pictures of this part of our sojourn due to the following: 1) we were either carrying Shane 2) they were either carrying Mommy/Tracy or 3) Mommy/Tracy was bitching about her feet hurting and stones and wood chips that were causing extreme discomfort and occasional pain and no one was speaking to me. It didn't help that we decided to take the road less traveled on the way back, which wasn't as crowded but decidedly longer. All of our dogs were barking that day. When we got back home, we just had left overs for dinner and watched Sophia Coppola's Marie Antoinette (great flick -- I highly recommend it). As I did before him, Jason became completely fascinated with the French history surrounding the monarchy and Marie Antoinette's famed plight. Fascinating. He was up until 1am researching while I did some writing.

No comments: