Sunday, September 7, 2008

Paris Day 9: Aug. 30, 2008

Shane and Jason slept in this morning. I awoke early anxious to enjoy every last second of our last day, but finally crawled back into bed and dozed. We got all duded up to visit the Champs Elysees and Avenue Montaigne. I finally christened by Christian Louboutin shoe boots by wearing them for the first time in Paris. Also, since the trike was stolen and we spent the last two days carrying Shane from monument to monument, we busted out his lazy boy with wheels (code for car seat with wheels). This was good since I was wearing my 7 inch stilettos, it forced us to take a taxi cab. Unfortunately, once there, both Jason and I were disappointed in this area because it is so commercialized and seemed just like a mall. There weren't very many stores that we couldn't find in LA. So we jumped in a cab and drove back to our neighborhood and had lunch at the Horse head Cafe. I didn't think it was as good as the first time, but the atmosphere and service were spectacular and very Parisian. Being the big "mall rat" that I am (hey, I'm from Jersey), I was hell bent to get to a mall in Paris. Once again, we hailed a cab to Galleries Lafayette, and once again, we were disappointed. First of all, it was a mad house and crazy expensive. There was NOTHING that we couldn't get at home or on eBay and it was a hell of a lot more expensive. I even saw the sachet and soap set that my sister-in-law Dana got my for my birthday. I hope she didn't pay $40 US dollars for it. We had put on comfy shoes after the Champs Elysees expedition, so we hoofed back --via the metro -- to St. Germain. We shopped around but were not impressed. We couldn't find any cool duds for Jason nor any good quality anything (clothes or souvenirs). Disappointed, we went back to our apartment to start packing up for the trip home.
Meanwhile, I had had the good fortune of seeing this amazing cotton trench coat in the boutique downstairs from our place. It really caught my eye. Even though it was a bit more than I wanted to spend and it was designer, but not couture, I had to have it. I did buy it and, although it is for the cooler weather, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. They had an article from Vogue framed in the dressing room that showed Kate Moss and Kate Beckinsale shopping at this boutique which made me love it even more.
After our packing, we went in search of souvenirs but still had no real luck. But, while we were out and about, we took one last walk along The Seine and stumbled upon a very cool experience. People, mostly students, were enjoying the warm summer weather while picnicking on the Pont de la Artes (Bridge of Arts). They were (what else of course) drinking wine and eating bread, cheese and jambo (aka ham) all while the Eiffel Tower glowed illuminescently in the background. The normally stoic (OK, let's be honest ...snobbish) Parisians had surprisingly come out of their shells to wave at the tourists on the dinner cruises and be jovial. Two young men even requested that we take their photos. By then it was very late, so we walked back to our neighborhood and enjoyed our last supper of sushi at Japonorama. (Do you think we were anxious to get back to Southern California?) Although the Japanese food was a bit different than what we normally get at home, all three of us were thankful for the miso soup, rice, chicken and salmon skewers. The sushi was not what we are used to but it was good none-the-less. We went back to our little Paris apartment and had one more glass of wine on the roof-top deck and watched the Eiffel Tower blink its schizophrenic light show.

No comments: